Monday, June 4, 2012

Chelsea sign Eden Hazard!

The 21-year-old expressed his delight in joining the reigning European champions, citing his ambition to win further silverware as a reason for his decision. "It's a dream come true for me," he told the club's official website. "I can't wait to get started and for the season to start so I can meet my new team-mates, the supporters and all the people who are involved. 'I want to play as many games as possible, score as many goals as possible and win a place in the hearts of the supporters. "Ultimately, for a player it's all about winning things; I want to win as many trophies as possible, which is another reason why I came here as Chelsea have been winning things for a long time now, and I hope to win many more during my time here." Hazard had been strongly linked with a move to Manchester rivals United and City and had previously hinted at such a switch. However, the attacker insisted he has made the right choice, adding that the Blues' Champions League success and his links with London changed his mind. "I watched the Champions League Final like everybody else," he continued. "It puts a bit more pressure on the players who are already here but they're used to it, and I think I'm pretty good at coping under pressure. "It's true that initially there were a number of clubs in for me, but when Chelsea won the Champions League I thought why not? "It was a complicated decision with lots of different factors involved, but the fact that they have great players and are European champions, also coming to London, I know people here already and there are a few French speakers, I think I have made the right decision." Hazard managed 21 goals and 18 assists in 48 games for Lille last campaign, helping fire them to a third-placed finish in Ligue 1. And, though he insisted that the French league is wrongly regarded as a lesser competition, he admitted that the Premier League will be a step up. He said: "People tend to talk about the French league as if it's not of a high standard, but I disagree. I think it's one of the best leagues in Europe, there are some very strong teams, particularly in defence, it's always difficult to score goals. "The biggest differences will be in the stadiums and atmospheres, and the fact that overall, players will be technically better." The new Blues man also revealed that his Lille team-mate and former Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole had tried to persuade him to join Roberto Di Matteo's side. He added: "I spoke to Joe Cole and what he said above all was that Chelsea was the right club for me. As somebody who loves the club himself, he said he could really see me in the shirt, so when I see him next I'll tell him he was right. "Chelsea had a great season even if we didn't do very well in the league. By anybody's standards, winning two cups is a great achievement, so it will be a big challenge to do better. "We're equipped to do that, and all I can hope is that while I'm here we can win a lot of trophies, that's what I'm aiming for." Hazard also said he was "delighted to join Chelsea" via Twitter late on Monday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?